Supporting neurodiversity and disability in libraries

For this topic on diversity in libraries, I have chosen to explore how the needs of children and youth with various neurodivergences or disabilities (and by extension their families), can be supported by libraries. I would also like to note that I do not identify as a person living with any form of neurodiversity or disability that impact the way I access libraries. Any comments made are generalisations based upon the information I have been presented with and I hope to not disrespectfully represent anyone here. 

For this activity, I watched the webinar Including the neurodivergent community in library space, service, & programming (Richert & Jacobs, 2022). I use the word ‘neurodiversity’ as an umbrella term to encompass the cognitive diversity of the human brain “[in having] a unique way of thinking, feeling and functioning” (Helprin, 2025, p. 1), with no two people’s neurological abilities to process information being the same, due to differing cognitive development and function (Australian Disability Network, 2024). I chose this webinar as it seemed that it would contain a good array of practical information about libraries can better serve these demographics in the community. Additionally, the library service that I work for doesn’t currently offer any specialised services, events or resources for children, youth and families that fall into these categories, so I have significant gaps in my knowledge about practical solutions that have worked for other library services.

In this webinar, the two public library staff discussed their own professional experiences in working with children and youth that are neurodiverse or have disabilities and creating spaces and programs that welcome them and their families into the library, taking into account their unique needs in order to feel safe to express themselves and explore these spaces. Richert & Jacobs (2022) also note that some feedback from parents indicates that libraries can be seen as intimidating or unsuitable for the needs of children in these areas. This particular concern can lead to a lot of practical changes that can be made to spaces that don’t include an entire redesign of the library or the services that are offered, simply small changes that can be made to make the space more inviting and welcoming to the children that needs additional support to be able to comfortably use the library.

In the future, I could suggest small changes within the library would greatly benefit staff and patrons with accessing the library, aiming to employ purposeful design thinking suggested by Carlson et al. (2019) to find ways to incorporate the needs, experiences and challenges faced by patrons in these areas, and encourage open communication to learn how the library can actively create a supportive and inviting space. This may include offering sensory friendly kits for parents to borrow during programs that allow children to remain in the space if they are feeling overstimulated or otherwise or designate low sensory study spaces for youth within the library. Making these available would also align with industry best practice in assisting people with any form of disability with adjusted, inclusive and equitable access to library resources and services that are catered to meet their unique needs (Australian Library and Information Association, 2019).


References

Australian Disability Network. (2024). What is neurodiversity? [PDF]. https://australiandisabilitynetwork.org.au/resources/australian-neurodiversity-toolkit/

Australian Library and Information Association. (2019). Guidelines on library and information services for people with disabilities [PDF]. https://read.alia.org.au/guidelines-library-and-information-services-people-disabilities

Carlson, K., Macchion, F., & Greenwood, C. (2019). Inclusive practices in public libraries: An Australian perspective [Case study]. ALIA Disability. https://disability.alia.org.au/resources/programming/

Helprin, H. (2025). Defining key terms relating to neurodivergence [Resource sheet]. Australian Institute of Family Studies. https://aifs.gov.au/resources/resource-sheets/defining-key-terms-relating-neurodivergence

Richert, A., & Jacobs, B. (2022, March 3). Including the neurodivergent community in library space, service, & programming [Webinar]. State Library of Iowa Continuing Education. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkfouTguRKs

Comments